Sunday, April 4, 2010

Activism Log 6

Jennifer Smith
Nina Perez
3/27/10
WST 3015

Activism:
I took my own advice from last week and decided to work on my own. I went around the campus on my own and collected signatures and invited people to the April 16th rally. It was actually a lot easier than petitioning in front of the Student Union. Since I wasn’t interrupting people on their way to class, I was able to better explain my reason for collecting signatures and why it was so important we succeeded. Though there were still people who couldn't care less about transgender and gender equality, I was happy to discover that the people willing to stand up for equality by far outweighed the less willing. I also found out that Jen Ackerman, another member of our group, started the PSA for our campaign. I can’t wait to see the finished results and plan to ask her if she needs any help from me.

Reflection:
Our readings this week focus on the globalization and militarization that’s involved in our society. I’ve always thought the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policies the military have for their soldiers are sickening and unjust. “The Pentagon considers homosexuality incompatible with military service, and a series of regulations have precluded lesbians and gay men from serving openly, despite their continuing presence as officers and enlisted personal” (Kirk 501). They don’t mind young men and women dying for their country, unless they happen to have same-sex relationships. I believe that if someone is willing to die for their country, then that country should be willing to protect them and their rights.

Reciprocity:
I definitely took a step in the right direction this week. Megan Seely is always saying that “no act is too small” and I agree and understand that, but I feel like for the first time in this project I really am making a difference (16). I made the decision to go out in my community this week and talk to people, even though I have extreme nerves when it comes to talking to strangers. I decided not to sit around and watch the injustice on my own campus. I can’t wait to continue on this activism journey and see it to the end.

Works Cited:

Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. "Women and the Military, War, and Peace." Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. 493-511. Print.

Seely, Megan. "Fight Like A Girl." Fight like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist. New York: New York UP, 2007. 15-26. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment