Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Activisim Log #8

Jennifer Smith
Nina Perez
4/11/10
WST 3015

Activism:
I admit to being a little lazier this week than usual with my activism, but I didn’t mean to. I was planning on tabling in front of the Student Union, but I showed up on Wednesday and, once again, Equal forgot to not only reserve a spot, but also to inform any of us who planned to table. When I first started this protect I was told I might experience some problems with my community organization, but I didn’t realize how frustrating it would be. I kind of lost my energy to be active after Equal’s letdown. I collected a few signatures, but not as many as I have in the past weeks. Next week is our rally so, hopefully, that will excite me to work harder next week since it will be my last chance to collect signatures and spread word about the rally.

Reflection:
Ecofeminism was the focus of this week’s class discussions. One aspect that we discussed in class was the myth that women are the only ones that can help the environment, that men can only destroy nature (Perez 4/7). While my campaign for gender identity equality might not have a direct effect on nature, it is making a big impact on the environment that people at UCF are living in. I’ve been working with male members of Equal and also collecting the signatures of the male student body. I think it’s important to realize that men do share their own roles in activism, whether it’s making our campus a safer place or protecting our environment.

Reciprocity:
I feel like I let my group and myself down this week by not working as hard as I know I can. I really do believe in our campaign and want to give it my best efforts so it has a better chance of being a success. I think that I should take this weekend to regroup myself and come back next week with my all since it’s definitely going to be a busy and eventful one. I can’t wait to see if all of my group’s efforts made a difference and if we were able to change UCF’s policy.

Works Cited:

Perez, Jeannina. CL1 117. 7 Apr. 2010. Lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment