Thursday, April 22, 2010

Activism Log # 10

Jennifer Smith
Nina Perez
WST 3015
4/25/10

Activism:
All our hard work made a difference! On the day of our Rally, we found out that our petition was approved. Now we just have to wait until the end of the semester to see if President Hitt will add gender identity to UCF’s Non Discrimination Policy. It feels amazing to be a part of the group that changed the Golden Rule.

Reflection:
In the Gaia Girls’ book, “Enter the Earth,” the main character, Elizabeth, is an environmental activist who uses vandalism to make a change (Welles 304). While reading about her methods, I was disturbed. I thought it sent the wrong message to young readers; that vandalism is the only way to go. I was glad that our campaign was successful, not only because it will protect more students, but also because we didn’t have to resort to vandalism to achieve it. I think that if more young kids hear about success stories dealing with activism, they might participate more in causes that matter to them.

Reciprocity:
Since I’m officially done with the activism portion of my service-learning project, I spent this week just relaxing with my friends. It was while I was having a discussion with one of my out-of-town friends that I realized something. I had been telling him about my classes and mentioned how I had just finished a big project (my activism). He didn’t even know what gender identity was and, when I tried to explain it to him, he told me that transgender and transsexual people shouldn’t be protected, that he didn’t even know why a person would chose to be transgender. I was so completely shocked by what he said. I have been fighting for equality and equal access to protection, trying to convince complete strangers why it’s so important, when someone I’ve known for years holds such bigoted views. It made me realize that, while my group and I have changed the rules/laws on UCF’s campus, it’s only a small step. There is still a reason for me to be active: To open more minds, including my own friend's, to the importance and need for equality.



Works Cited:

Welles, Lee. Gaia Girls: Enter the Earth. White River Junction, Vt.: Chelsea Green Pub., 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment